Knowing how to wash bras the right way is essential for bra-wearers of all shapes, ages, genders, and sizes today.
When you care for undergarments properly, you extend the lifespan of your bras, girdles, activewear, and lingerie, thus saving you more money in the long run. By learning how to wash bras by hand or how to store them properly, you can easily make your favorite delicates last a lot longer, for an even better wearing experience.
Make these delicate products last a lifetime with the right tips and tricks today. Here’s your guide to the do’s and don’ts of undergarment maintenance and care, to ensure the longevity of your clothes in the long run.
Dos and don'ts of bra washing and drying
Keep your Wacoal bras and girdles looking fresh and new every day. Check out these basic dos and don'ts for washing and drying your own undergarments at home.
Dos of bra washing and drying:
- Use a neutral and mild detergent. This is to avoid item discoloration.
- Apply appropriate washing techniques. This will help preserve your undergarments' quality while cleaning them thoroughly. These techniques include hand-washing your bras, padded products, and girdles with boning or wire supports in lukewarm or cold water.
- Hang dry immediately after washing. This preserves their shape and elasticity.
Don'ts of bra washing and drying:
- Aggressively scrub the fabric while hand-washing. This may damage the fabric or bend the wire supports out of shape.
- Spin-dry or wring out your undergarments. Instead, press them gently to remove excess water, then hang-dry them immediately after washing.
- Expose them to high heat or direct sunlight. This may warp the material and damage your garments as you air-dry them.
Dos and don'ts of storing your bras
Want to make your Wacoal products last longer, so that you spend a lot less on replacing them too? Here are some more important do’s and don’ts to caring for your bras and girdles for better longevity.
Dos of storing your bras:
- Shape the cups back to their original forms. Make sure to straighten out the fabric of your cups to keep their shape and prevent damage in your closet or drawer.
- Ensure your items are totally dry before storing them. This prevents mildew from building up inside the garment fabric
- Allocate enough storage space for your undergarments. Keep them comfortably spaced to avoid distorting their shape and form.
Don’t of storing your bras:
- Store them in cramped drawers. Folding and stacking due to a lack of storage space will lead to fabric damage in the long run.
- Hang them by their straps. This will stretch the material of your shoulder straps over time.
- Leave old and unused delicates in your closet. If left unused for up to three years, the fabric will deteriorate and become too fragile to wear.
Dos and don’t of bra wearing and maintenance
No matter the type or size of your Wacoal undergarments, you need to wear and maintain them properly to ensure that they last for a long time.
Dos of bra wearing and maintenance:
- Find the right size and fit for your body. This will give you a better wearing experience and prevent issues like painfully tight straps, gaping cups, and more.
- Rotate their use to prolong their individual lifespans. You should definitely have more than one in your arsenal so that you can avoid wearing out your undergarments with daily use.
- Inspect and repair them regularly. Make sure to check your bras and their fabric, hooks, straps, and other accessories to keep them in tip-top shape.
Don’ts of bra wearing and maintenance:
- Choose an ill-fitting bra. This will result in an unpleasant bra-wearing experience in the long run. Determine the perfect size for your body with the help of the Wacoal Fitting Guide.
- Wear the same bra for more than two days in a row. Going too long without laundering your undergarments is unsanitary, especially in a tropical country like the Philippines where you’re prone to sweating a lot more than other places.
- Pull at your straps or bands excessively. Pulling at your straps or bands will result in overstretched material, thus wearing out your delicates faster.
Make your undergarments last a lot longer when you wash, store, and wear them properly. Remember to check out our Wacoal’s website to find the undergarments you need for a happy and comfortable wearing experience.